Our Mission

Hyperion is a social enterprise, with a mission to bring scaleable Computer Science and software development education to the developing world. We believe this education is uniquely empowering - no skill can more rapidly empower individuals to gain access to well-paying careers, yet no skill is as hard to learn in the third world. In Africa alone, over 200 million low-income youth can harness the skills we teach to change their lives forever.

Hyperion sells courses to high-income demographics, pairing students with excellent one-on-one online mentors, and uses a portion of all profits to provide free online courses to low-income demographics in Africa.

By charging only 15% of our students, we can provide free education to the remaining 85%, generating a sustainable social impact.



Are you currently unemployed, low-income, or still studying full-time?
You may qualify for a free course with Hyperion

Register for a any course above and upload proof of your status, and
you'll unlock a course on the Hyperion Basics plan

See Courses

Our Partners

Hyperion has partnered with key names in the fields of technology, education, and social ventures.



Andrae Smith

Marketing and Corporate Relationships Manager

I am a University of Stellenbosch graduate with an Undergrad in Economics and Honours in Marketing. I am passionate about developing education in South Africa and hope to contribute towards this through Hyperion.

Alex Bielovich

Awesomeness Architect

Durban-based Designer & Illustrator with a commitment to craft above all else.

Riaz Moola

Managing Director, Founder

I previously worked at Google as a part of the core search team, and was the first South African to join Google's prestigious Associate Product Manager Programme. I now serve as Director of Hyperion.

Sobane Motlomelo

Cape Town Manager

I am a Mathematics and Computer Science graduate from the University of Cape Town. I am passionate about Python and my research interests lie in Information Security.

Jared Ping

Online Course Manager

I am currently pursuing a BSc(Eng) Electrical and Information Engineering at Wits. I have a deep passion for anything software related and thoroughly enjoy broadening the knowledge of others.

Masood Gool

Content Developer and Tutor

I have a Bcom Accounting Degree from the University of Johannesburg. I always had a passion for programming and decided to pursue this by doing an online course with Hyperion Development. I am now a full-time tutor and content developer for Hyperion Development.

Our Whole Story

Hover over a point on the timeline below to learn more

Awards and Press

We've been widely recognised in Africa and abroad.



  • September 2016: Hyperion Development are crowned grand-prize winners of the Internet.org Innovation Challenge in Africa awards. Internet.org is a partnership between social networking services company Facebook and six companies (Samsung, Ericsson, MediaTek, Opera Software, Nokia and Qualcomm)
  • July 2016: Hyperion becomes the first African startup to be awarded a place in the Emerge Education Cohort, an accelerator programme for startups aiming to improve educational outcomes worldwide. 
  • January 2016: Hyperion joins the Social Incubator East programme in Cambridge, a programme of the University of Cambridge Judge Business School 
  • December 2015: Hyperion awarded funding and a partnership with Google to run a year long project improving Computer Science in South Africa. Matched funding provided by the Python Software Foundation 
  • November 2014, June 2015: Hyperion awarded third and forth grants from the Python Software Foundation to support growth of online courses
  • September 2014: Hyperion awarded funding from Oracle & enters a partnership with the South African Department of Education to train half of all programming teachers in the country
  • March 2014: Hyperion wins a UK Open Source Award for its online course platform, presented in a ceremony in Scotland 
  • May 2013: Awarded two grants from the Python Software Foundation Outreach and Education Committee to expand online Python courses
  • November 2012: Awarded £5000 Innovation Initiative Grant from the University of Edinburgh Development Trust to expand training programmes
  • October 2012: Delivered "Python education in South Africa" talk at the first Python conference in Africa - Pycon ZA 2012